ECM as an OEM platform
- Most of today’s ECM vendors don’t offer out-of-the-box solutions to business challenges. These vendors offer a platform on which to build an ECM solution, like contracts management, compliance, employee file management, and accounts payable.
- There are many options when looking for solution to business challenges. For ECM Solutions, it’s Configuration versus Customization. A customer can build a custom solution on an ECM platform or configure a solution that meets that business challenge. Why wouldn’t a solution vendors look to build their solutions on an existing ECM platform?
- Building a solution on another platform is nothing new. Rarely does a vendor look to create a relational database of its own. This concept is not new to ECM either.
- There’s a lot of questions to be asked before a business solution vendor builds on top of an ECM platform. But the positives far outweigh the negatives.
- Solution vendors should look to ECM platforms that support standards, like CMIS (Content Management Interoperability Services), to allow for integration across multiple platforms.